Monday, July 20, 2009

Juliette (Daisy) Gordon Low's Candle Ceremony- V.1

attributed to Lori Roach aka "Ladybug" Totem Council-GSUSA

equipment needed
candle for each girl
matches/lighter
water bucket with water in it

Long ago, a special ceremony was formed. Juliette Low wanted her original girls to carry a special spark with them as their Scouting group broke up. Some from the troop were moving away, wroking to help their families, or wanted to help a group of girls a little younger than themselves. But whatever their reasons, Juliette knew no other group would ever be quite the same.
As the girls stood in a circle holding candles (they had made), Juliette knew what spark it was she wanted to pass on. She lit her candle and spoke.
"With this candle, I give you each something very special to pass on. As I light the candle on my right, I ask each of you to light the candle on your right and pass it on. I want you to carry this thought with you wherever you go. This is the ETERNAL FLAME for Girl Scouts. Each of you, after having a lit candle before you, will repeat the Girl Scout Promise with me, then pause and recall a few of the things we have done together as a group. I will hold my candle up, adn as I do so, you will all raise yours and we will blow them out together. Before we seperate from our circle, I want to ask you to keep this candle as a very special flame. You may use it in other Girl Scout ceremonies, such as camps, encampments, campfires, bridging or court of award ceremonies. I'm glad we were able to start a special tradition based on our ETERNAL FLAME.

We used this at our 2009 awards ceremony...the girls love candle ceremonies, and these candles had been used in our previous awards ceremonies. Each girl took her candle home to keep the flame.

No comments: